American hospitals and clinics are subject to some of the most stringent licensing guidelines in the world. So accredited that America has adopted the “gold standard” with hospital accreditation.
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), one of the best known healthcare accreditation groups in the USA formed an international body known as the Joint Commission International (JCI) Which is among the most universally sought after, and well respected in the world.
– Has carried out extensive verifications and there are now over 220 accredited hospitals worldwide which are accredited for medical travel
– Has emerged as the worldwide leader in accreditation of hospitals and clinics. Its accreditation process is recognized internationally as the “gold standard” in patient assurance.
– Is a private sector USA based non-profit organization. Its mission statement is: “To continuously improve the safety and quality of care provided to the public through the provision of healthcare accreditation and related services that support performance improvement in health care organizations”.
– The JCI sends its surveyors out to healthcare organizations to inspect the sites and ensure that they comply with a set of operational practices and facility standards. With the advent of medical tourism, JCI has become an important tool for medical travelers deciding upon which healthcare provider to utilize.
Aside from the JCI, there are other alternative non-profit organizations providing accreditation for healthcare organizations in the USA. These accreditations can be helpful if you plan to undertake medical travel to cheaper destinations within the United States. The accreditation bodies include:
- US State Medical Boards — each state will provide you with free information about a doctor’s education, training, current license and board certifications.
- Accreditation Commission for Health Care, Inc (ACHC) is an accrediting organization started by a few home care providers endeavoring to create a viable option of accreditation sensitive to the needs of small providers.
- Healthcare Quality Association on Accreditation (HQAA) is an organization that ensures the quality, efficiency and accessibility in healthcare.
- National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) drives improvement in the health care system through the Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) which is used by 90% of health plans in the USA.
- Rate MD is a user-driven site allows patients and colleagues to anonymously review doctors. This is a great way to hear from former and current patients. Testimonials will include a number rating for the following four areas: staff, punctuality, helpfulness and knowledge.
- United States Board Certification
For a complete list of JCI accredited hospitals around the world, refer to their website.
While checking credentials of US board certified doctors in USA and during your medical travel, make sure your doctor has a relevant certification with at least 3 years of experience in the concerned specialty.
The golden standard for certification for the medical profession in the USA is provided by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). This is the umbrella organization for 24 nationally approved medical specialist boards.
The coveted Gold Star is given by the ABMS to certified local and international physicians to demonstrate their expertise in their specialist fields.